Thursday, September 24, 2015

Anxiety



I found this on a blog, and wanted to share it. It explains what I mean by "anxiety disorder."

"When I refer to my “anxiety”, I am not simply talking about my fears or situations that make me nervous. I’m not talking about the kind of anxiousness that everyone experiences throughout their life. I am talking about Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)- a mental condition which affects nearly every aspect of my life in one way or another."

I have an anxiety disorder.

It's not me being nervous.  It's not me being rude.  It's not me being a snob.
When it hits me, it hits me hard.  There are days I wake up, and I feel like I have a 50lb weight on my chest.  I struggle to get out of bed, I struggle to walk down the steps. 

Normal routines are my life savor.  I must have my normal routine in order to function.  Without them, I am lost.

If I cancel at the last minute, don't take it personally...please. It's truly not you, it's me. There are days I just can't handle being out in the world.

If I am at a party and don't know the people there that well, and you see me alone in the corner...don't think I am sitting there because I am not social.  (Truth be told, I LOVE to dance and laugh!) 
But at that moment, I'm probably scared that that entire room is looking at me, laughing and saying "what's her deal."
So, come talk to me.  Come say hi.  But don't stay for very long...I don't like small talk with just anyone. There are just a few people who I can handle small talk with...literally, I can count them on one hand.

Not all days are like this, thankfully.  Over the years I have learned to control it.

This is not a post to bring attention to myself, for you to give me sympathy and think "oh you poor thing."  I'm over that. 

I thought that blogging about my struggles, and how I am learning to overcome them, would benefit a lot of people.  I hope anyway. ;)

Each week I will share a bit of my journey, how this started, when I was diagnosed, what I have done to help myself get better.  I'm not all the way there yet...but I'm sure the hell a lot further then I was 6 months ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment